Författare Ämne: 360 torque tube  (läst 9483 gånger)

mpro09

• Nykomling
  • Antal inlägg: 2
    • Visa profil
360 torque tube
« skrivet: oktober 19, 2012, 18:56:57 »
Hello,

I'm Mitchel and i have a 1986 360

only last week the coupling between the torque tube and gearbox broke and it's really hard to find a new one. so i thought maybe you found another solution to solve this problem.

thnx from Holland!

FREJ

• Betalande Medlem
  • Administrator
  • 300power orakel
  • Antal inlägg: 17012
  • Håll mus över länk nedan ;)
    • Visa profil
    • "Ny" bil :)
SV: 360 torque tube
« Svar #1 skrivet: november 01, 2012, 13:29:35 »
Welcome Mitchel!

Nice looking car of yours!

What has broken on your clamp?

Several members at 300 Power Club has faced the same thing as you have.
But I have not seen another solution than exchanging the broken coupling. Not other than rebuild the car for a front mounted gearbox + propshaft + stiff rear axle.

But I suppose that you search for a "easy" solution?

An earlier member made the coupling on the torque tube a bit stronger with help of a lathed steel tube that was made so it fitted perfectly on the original coupling BETWEEN the two clamps on the coupling. I have not seen an image but think it would look like on the picture I added to this answer.
To fit the strengthening, one clamp must be removed and then refitted with the welder. I suppose..

Greetings
Frej
« Senast ändrad: november 01, 2012, 13:32:12 av FREJ »
"Det är viktfördelningen på volvo 3-serien som är hemligheten bakom dess fina vägegenskaper"  8)
Christer Glenning i Trafikmagasinet 7/1 1983.

loke

• Medlem
  • Medlem
  • Antal inlägg: 168
    • Visa profil
« Svar #2 skrivet: november 01, 2012, 15:40:38 »
As long as the splines in the tube isn't damaged it should be fairly easy to repair for someone with some mechanical knowledge and tools.

If however the splines are damaged it takes some special machinery to make new ones and if you dont know anyone who works with it its probably to expensive to be worth it. Check on 300mania if someone nearby have rebuild their car to front gearbox, maybe they still have the coupling left.

mpro09

• Nykomling
  • Antal inlägg: 2
    • Visa profil
« Svar #3 skrivet: november 05, 2012, 19:12:17 »
thank you! but the splines  on the gearbox side are gone.

I have the same question on 300mania but no response. I thought i could maybe buy another one with broken splines and then weld the two good halves together. but this weekend I found one on internet so I hope I can get is, that's the easiest solution :)

I'll let you know how it works out

FREJ

• Betalande Medlem
  • Administrator
  • 300power orakel
  • Antal inlägg: 17012
  • Håll mus över länk nedan ;)
    • Visa profil
    • "Ny" bil :)
« Svar #4 skrivet: november 07, 2012, 22:07:57 »
thank you! but the splines  on the gearbox side are gone.

I have the same question on 300mania but no response. I thought i could maybe buy another one with broken splines and then weld the two good halves together. but this weekend I found one on internet so I hope I can get is, that's the easiest solution :)

I'll let you know how it works out

Okey, lets hope for the best! Thanks for letting us know how it goes.
"Det är viktfördelningen på volvo 3-serien som är hemligheten bakom dess fina vägegenskaper"  8)
Christer Glenning i Trafikmagasinet 7/1 1983.